Have you ever screwed up a recipe only to find out that what you ended up making was actually pretty good? I did that with the recipe below. I received some bottles of Sparkling ICE drink in the mail to sample. Their original email had a great recipe for a Sparkling Pomegranate Blueberry Balsamic Glaze. When I decided to make grilled chicken for dinner last week, I thought I’d open up a bottle of the Sparkling Pomegranate Blueberry ICE drink and simmer it in a pot until it reduced to a glaze. Well….after almost an hour of simmering (which was okay because I was cutting up fresh veggies from the garden and still needed to cook the chicken), I was surprised that it wasn’t as thick as I would have liked it to be. I went ahead and poured it on my chicken anyways. It was really good and although it didn’t thicken up as much as I wanted, it still packed a great fruity flavor.
This morning as I was beginning to type up my blog post, I referred back to the original recipe and realized I forgot one key ingredient – balsamic vinegar. I’m excited to try it with the vinegar added but was pleasantly surprised and pleased with just the Sparkling ICE drink drizzled on top.
Here’s the recipe from the email:
Sparkling Pomegranate Blueberry Balsamic Glaze
Yield: 1 ¼ cups
Cook time: 25-35 minutes
Inactive rest time: 20 minutes
1 ½ cups Pomegranate Blueberry Sparkling ICE
½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until syrupy and reduced by one third. Several factors can vary the cooking time (i.e. type of pot, brand of balsamic) so use your best judgment and keep a close eye on it at the 25 minute mark.
- Turn off the heat and let the pot sit to cool on stove for approximately 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Alternate Serving Suggestions
- Salad Dressing
- Glaze for fish, poultry, lamb, and vegetables
- Great for Caprese (sliced tomato/ mozzarella salad)
- Use warm as a sauce for your favorite cut of meat or vegetables